Wednesday, June 13, 2007

First Job

Tell me about your first job.
I was still in high school and hoping to go to Olivet College, so took a job at Metropolitan Clothing Co. My first assignment was to work at the cash register. This included the job of doing gift wraps, other than during pre-Christmas rush, when a special group of workers was assigned to the this job. Little by little, I became acquainted with the salesmen. I took their merchandise bagged it or gift-wrapped it, and rang up sales and gave change. But one day during the Christmas rush, and unknown "salesman" came to me and asked me to do a gift-wrap for his customer. In a business-like voice, I said "Gift wrapping is being done over there," and pointed to the table designated for that job. The man meekly walked to that table, but my shocked fellow worker said, "Do you realize that that man is the president of this store?" (He didn't fire me!)

No comments: