Sunday, April 29, 2007

God

Who was the first person to talk to you about God? What effect did this have on you?
Both of my parents took quite seriously their responsibility of training us in basic Christian beliefs. Family prayer was an integral part of our daily life. We had family devotions twice a day, and our parents took us to church twice on Sunday, to prayer meetings on Wednesday, and to revival services every night during protracted meetings - sometimes 2 or 3 weeks long, and occasionally as long as six weeks.
We were introduced to Wesleyan theology as soon as we could begin to understand spiritual matters. Consequently the Lord saved me when I was five years old, and sanctified me when I was 12 (Dec. 21, 1930)
The clear concept of God's love and holiness created in me a strong desire to be like Him and a wholesome vision of my own evangelistic responsibilities. Such spiritual preparation made it natural for me to say a joyful "YES!" when God called me as a missionary to Guatemala.

No comments: