Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Childhood Prayers

What kind of prayer did you say before you went to sleep? Who taught you how to pray it?

Mother taught me how to pray. And we would have family devotions before going to bed. We kids were glad to prolong the day, so did not resent that time of Bible reading and prayer.

I recall that my good-night prayers ended with a missionary emphasis:"Lord, bless the people in India, Africa, Korea and the islands of the sea". I don't know whether my parents taught me a specific prayer, or whether I was allowed to form my own Obviously, I had absorbed some of the missionary vision that characterized my mother's prayers.

Who knows? Perhaps those good-night prayers were preparing me for the glad "yes" in my heart when God said, "I want you in Guatemala."

No comments: