Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Childhood Pastimes

What was your favorite pastime as a child? Did you prefer doing it alone or with someone else?
I loved to swing in the old porch swing that was attached to the hackberry tree at the back of our yard. Sometimes I would enjoy swinging with my sisters. Other times I liked swinging alone and making that old toy go as high as possible. I could use my imagination and pretend that I was really going places.

I also enjoyed junior church and felt very important when Thelma Butts or some other leader would ask me to play the organ and accompany the other children as we sang.
Going to Grandma Kendall's home in Cynthiana, riding a train to Bainbridge and visiting Grandpa Bond en route, eating Aunt Frances' sugar cookies, enjoying the flowers in her garden and the swing in her wood shed, picking blackberries for mother to can, taking a walk on a sandy road near Grandma Kendall's; all these and more were favorite pastimes when I was a child.

No comments: