Wednesday, April 18, 2007

About My Name

Who gave you your name and why? Did you have a family nickname? How did you get it?

My Christian parents preferred Bible names, so named me Eunice Ruth. We used nicknames for some of our friends but respected family names and held to them.

However, the new generation took great delight in assigning nicknames. Joyce and David especially had to endure the creative names assigned to them by older siblings. "Tamale feet" was a favorite and was used enough to make Joyce wonder if her feet really resembled tamales.

And I myself didn't totally escape the nicknames. Some of my students in our seminary in San Antonio called me "Faraona" (feminine form of Faraon= Pharaoh). Of course, this was mentioned behind my back, but the reporters gave me the news with obvious glee.

No comments: