Wednesday, August 15, 2007

First Communion

Do you remember your first communion? What influence did it have on you and your family?
In our church communion was served four times per year. Since the Lord saved me when I was five years old, I took communion along with my parents. It was a natural and beautiful part of my worship experiences.
The greatest communion experiences I ever had occurred while we were missionaries, serving in Coban, Guatemala. Communion was a traditional part of our District Assemblies. One day, during this special act of worship, it dawned on me that at the Lord's Table we were one. Around that big altar were Kekchis, Pokomchis, Rabinalachis, Ladinos, and North Americans. Some of the worshipers had on neat clothes. Others were barefooted and not too elegantly clad. But we were quietly talking to the Lord in our own languages. There was no difference in our acceptance in God's sight. The Lord's Supper helped me to identify with fellow Christians in a fresh and beautiful way.

No comments: