Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Advice

What meaningful advice did you receive from an adult? What were the circumstances?
Lois and I enjoyed our studies in Latin, even though we recognized it as a dead language. Several times Mother suggested that it would be more practical for us to study Spanish. She would say, "Spanish is the coming language." She herself had studied Latin, and in the 30's many of us took it for granted that four years of Latin were a valuable part of our college prep. courses. Se we didn't take Mother's advice too seriously.
I took 2 years of French at Olivet and enjoyed Prof. Goodwin's classes and the language itself. Still no Spanish!
God's call to Guatemala reminded me repeatedly of Mother's sage and prophetic advice. But that call didn't come till Larry was in his second year in N.T.S. and I was mother of 2 small children. When we landed in Guatemala in 1950, I had a terrific amount of Biblical knowledge
(I thought!).
But I had to speak as a child, lisping my way to communication.

No comments: